Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Orange Cupcakes with Orange Flavored Frosting

Today I was jonsen for a dessert so I decided I wanted to make cupcakes.  My mom gave me the book: "1001 Cupcakes, Cookies and other tempting treats".  I used the first recipe in the book for orange cupcakes.  Unfortunately I wasn't completely successful.  My cupcakes didn't really rise, even though I used all the ingredients it called for and followed the directions.  I still do not know what went wrong, but they were still really tasty!  The recipe made 16 cupcakes (mini though).



Cupcake Ingredients:
8 Tbsp Butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
heaping 3/4 cup self-rising flour
grated rind of 1/2 orange

Icing Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
about 2 Tbsp orange juice
Sprinkles for decorating

Directions:
1.     Preheat oven to 375F and line two 12-hole muffin pans with 16 paper liners.
2.     Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in eggs.  Add orange rind and then sift in flour and fold into mixture.
3.     Spoon batter into paper liners.
4.     Bake for 15-20 minutes.  
5.     Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
6.     Mix powdered sugar and just enough orange juice to make a smooth paste.  Frost cooled cupcakes.


Jason and Beth's Rating: 4/10

Nutrition per cupcake:
131 calories
6g fat (4g saturated)
42mg cholesterol
130mg sodium
18g carbohydrates
0g fiber
13g sugar
1g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment