Monday, January 30, 2012

Sweet Potato Pasta

I had one very large sweet potato left over from when I made Sweet Potato pizza.  I love sweet potatoes!  I was browsing Pinterest and found this recipe.  I've been trying to use substitutes for ingredients I don't have on hand.  So instead of the arugula I was supposed to use, I used parsley.  I got in trouble this month because I went over our grocery budget by 50%.  All of these awesome recipes are fun, but they add up in cost.  So I can't buy anything from the grocery store until February. :(  The recipe below makes 4 servings.


Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 Tbsp olive oil
2-3 oz baby arugula (I just added parsley at the end of the cooking)
2 cups (dry) bow tie pasta
1 Tbsp good-quality balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1.  Heat a pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.  Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.  Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat.  Cook sweet potato for 8-10 minutes until cooked through.  Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
2.  Add pasta to boiling water and cook just until pasta is barely al-dente.
3.  When sweet potatoes are cooked through and turn to low heat.  Add the balsamic vinegar and a little more olive oil, cook for 3-5 minutes until sweet potatoes are glazed with vinegar.  Season with salt and pepper.
4.  Wash the arugula if needed and then place in bottom of colander where you're going to drain pasta.  When pasta is done, scoop out 1/2 cup pasta cooking water; then pour pasta over arugula.  Let is drain for 1 minute, then add the pasta and arugula to pan with sweet potatoes and stir to combine.  Add the reserved pasta water and stir gently.  Then add most of the Parmesan cheese and stir again.  Enjoy!

Beth's Rating: 7/10

Nutrition:
404 calories
18g fat (7g saturated)
34mg cholesterol
600mg sodium
43g carbohydrates
5g fiber
8g sugar
18g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment